Troubled by Ads? Install Dainik Bhaskar app for news without ads
Dubai27 minutes ago
- Copy link
The International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) will hold talks today to host the T20 World. For this, top board officials including Board President Sourav Ganguly, Secretary Jay Shah and Vice-President Rajeev Shukla have reached UAE. Only 4 and a half months are left in the World Cup. In such a situation, there can be a discussion between the two regarding the venue and the dates.
At present, the board can ask for one month’s time from the ICC before finalizing anything. Along with this, talks can also be held on giving visas to Pakistani players for this tournament. Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has complained several times about not getting visas from ICC. Let us tell you those 6 issues on which focus can be kept in the meeting…
1. T20 World Cup: The main motive of this meeting is going to be the T20 World Cup. The ICC cannot take away the hosting from India so soon and hand it over to the UAE. When the IPL was cancelled, the cases of corona in India were at the peak. But it has decreased in the last few days.
In such a situation, BCCI wants to review the situation by taking a month’s time. On 29 May, the board had told the state cricket associations that it would seek one more month from the International Cricket Council (ICC) for the World Cup.
In addition, the BCCI may also consider getting it done in the UAE. However, Plan-B has fewer chances. UAE is also scheduled to be held in the UAE from 18–19 September to 10 October. In such a situation, the ICC will be able to get the stadium only 1 week in advance if the World Cup is in UAE, which does not look appropriate according to the preparations for an international event.
2. Tax Exemption: Since the 2016 T20 World Cup, there has been a discussion between the BCCI and the ICC on tax exemption for hosting the tournament. The Board has also raised this matter with the Government of India several times. However, there has been no result on this so far.
If the central government gives even 10% exemption in tax, then the board will have to pay about Rs 226 crore. At the same time, in case of not giving any exemption, BCCI will have to pay Rs 906 crore to organize the World Cup. If the board is not able to arrange exemption from the government, then it may have to lose the revenue of Rs 905 crore of the ICC.
3. Visa to Pakistan Team : The PCB has on several occasions accused the BCCI of not granting visas. However, the board has said that the Pakistani team will be given entry with security. But the ICC can take up this issue with the board. 16 teams will take part in the T20 World Cup and 9 Venues have been selected for this. The last bilateral series between India and Pakistan was played in 2012.
At the same time, in 2016 Pakistan team came to India to play T20 World Cup. However, after this, due to many serious issues like cease-fire and Pulwama attack, the Indian government had severed any relations with Pakistan. The ICC may ask the BCCI to discuss the issue with the Indian government.
4. ICC World Test Championship: The first edition of the World Test Championship was started in 2018. Everything went well till 2019, but due to Corona in 2020 many series had to be canceled. This directly affected the points table and the ICC Cricket Committee had to make changes in its rules.
According to this, India and New Zealand will play the final from June 18. However, cricket boards and players of many countries had also raised questions on the new point percent system. In such a situation, the ICC can postpone it till 2023.
5. Future Tour Program (FTP): The existing FTP has suffered a lot due to Corona. In such a situation, the ICC can take some important decisions in the coming time, in view of Corona. In this, preference can be given to small countries playing cricket. Due to Corona, many small countries of Asia playing cricket had suffered a lot. Along with this, the future tour program between 2023 and 2031 can also be discussed.
The decision to increase the number of teams in the ODI World Cup from 10 to 14 in the meeting can also be sealed. Currently 10 teams play matches in the round robin format. The top-4 teams then qualify for the semi-finals. From the 2027 World Cup, it can be played on Group League Round and Super-6 format.
6. One ICC event every year: In 2019, the ICC had decided that at least 8 ICC events would be held in a cricketing cycle. However, Big-3 nations including BCCI did not show interest in it. But after the loss caused by Corona, Big-3 has come in favor of 8 events.
Along with this, the T20 World Cup was added by removing the Champions Trophy. ICC Champions Trophy can be brought back in 2023-31 cycle. Along with this, associate countries can also be given a chance to qualify in it.