- Hindi news
- Tech auto
- Facebook Smartwatch; Facebook Working On Android Based Smartwatch That Could Go On Sale Next Year Say Report
Fed up with Ads? Install Dainik Bhaskar app for news without ads
- The smartwatch will be part of Facebook’s growing hardware ecosystem
- It is not clear yet whether the watch will run on Google’s wearable OS
Seeing the increasing popularity of smartwatches, Facebook is now preparing to enter this segment. According to the report, Facebook is working on a smartwatch, which will allow the user to send messages through their services (eg WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger). Apart from this, many health and fitness features will also be available in it. According to reports, its sales could start next year, although the company has not given any explanation about it.
The company is expanding the hardware ecosystem
The smartwatch will be part of Facebook’s growing hardware ecosystem. It already includes virtual reality headsets, video-calling devices, and upcoming augmented reality (AR) smart glasses. In September last year, Facebook shared a plan for Ray-Ban branded eyeglasses as part of Project Aria.
Watch can come with cellular connectivity
- According to a report by The Information, Facebook is developing an Android-based smartwatch. However, it is unclear whether it will run on Google’s wearable OS. The report states that the smartwatch may be available for sale next year. The Facebook smartwatch (not its official name) will be paired with health and fitness features, which are now available in almost every smartwatch.
- Interestingly, the smartwatch could reportedly allow users to send messages using Facebook’s services, including Messenger, WhatsApp and Instagram. The smartwatch is expected to come with cellular connectivity (4G / 5G). The advantage of this is that users will be able to communicate with others without mobile. Facebook is also reportedly developing its own operating system, which can be seen in Facebook’s future devices.
These devices are in Facebook’s hardware ecosystem
- The Facebook smartwatch will be part of the company’s hardware ecosystem. It currently includes Oculus virtual reality headsets and a range of video calling devices called Portal, including Portal TV, Portal, Portal + and Portal Mini.
- Facebook is also working on augmented reality glasses as part of its project Aria. In September 2020, the company announced plans for Ray-Ban branded eyewear that would enhance real-world views with data or graphics from the Internet. The partnership will partner the Luxottica brands with Facebook apps and technologies as well as Essilor lens technology to produce smart eyewear.